- ‘The Roman Jew of the First Century’, in: The Christian Observer 1859, 318-322 (this article is a anonymously published work and is probably from an other author. The elegant style of Swete is missing.
- Two Sides to every Question: or Nine Questions to the Baptists with an Examination of their Reply, Bristol: I.E. Chillcott, Clare Street 1860, vi.7-44p.
- What is the Right Method of conducting the defence of the Old Testament in the rationalistic controversy which has come upon the Church? A paper read at a meeting of clergy in the deanery of Axbridge, February 26, 1863, London: Wertheim Macintosh and Hent 1863, 16p.
- S. Paul's Epistles. The Epistles to the Thessalonians. with an Introduction, and Prayers, For Private and Family Use By Edward Headland and Henry Barclay Swete, London: Hatchard 1863, xxxiv,35-206p.
- England versus Rome. A brief handbook of the Roman Catholic Controversy for the use of the Members of the English Church, London, Oxford and Cambridge: Rivington 1868, viii,224p.
- Paragone dottrinale tra la Chiesa Romana e la Chiesa Inglese, Torino, Firenze e Roma: Libreria Loescher 1872, 222p. (translation of England versus Rome
- On the Early History of the Doctrine of the Holy Spirit. with especial reference to the controversies of the fourth century, London: George Bell and Sons 1873, 100p.
- Theodorus Lascaris Junior, De Processione Spiritus Sancti oratio apologetica . Londini, item Edinae: apud Williams et Norgate 1875, iv,24p.
- On the History of the doctrine of the Procession of the Holy Spirit. from the Apostolic Age to the death of Charlemagne, Cambridge: Deighton, Bell and Co. London: George Bell and Sons 1876, vii-i,248p.
- Theodori Episcopi Mopsuesteni in Epistolas B. Pauli Commentarii. The Latin Version with the Greek Fragments With an Introduction Notes & Indices, Vol. I Introduction. Galatian-Colossians, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 1880, lxxxviii,312p.
Reprint: Westmead (etc.): Gress 1969 ISBN 0-576-99155-4.
- Theodori Episcopi Mopsuesteni in Epistolas B. Pauli Commentarii. The Latin Version with the Greek Fragments With an Introduction Notes and Indices, Vol. II 1 Thessalonians-Philemon, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 1882, viii,378p. Reprint: Westmead (etc.): Gress 1969 ISBN 0-576-99155-4
- ‘Holy Ghost’, in Smith and Wace, Dictionary of Christian Biography (London: John Murray) 3 (1882) 113-133
- ‘Theodorus of Mopsuestia’, in Smith and Wace, Dictionary of Christian Biography (London, John Murray) 4 (1887) 934-948
- The Old Testament in Greek according to the Septuagint, Vol I. Genesis-4 Kings, , Cambridge, C. University Press 1887, ²1895, ³1901, 41909, xxviii,804p.
- Clerical Studies, A paper red before the London Junior Clergy Society on Tuesday, April 15, 1890. By the Rev. H.B. Swete, D.D., late Rector of Ashdon, Essex: Regius Professor of Divinity in the University of Cambridge. Printed at the request of the Society (WANTED)
- The Old Testament in Greek according to the Septuagint, Vol II. 1 Chronicles- Tobit, Cambridge, C. University Press 1891, ²1896, ³1907, 41922, xvi,804p.
‘Graetz's Theory of the ⅬⅩⅩ’,, in: The Expository Times 2 (1891) 209
- ‘Josephus on Alexander's Visit To Jerusalem’, in: The Expository Times 3 (1892) 300.427
- Our Living Creed [Sermon X in Cambridge Sermons Preached before the University in St Mary's Church 1889-1892, selected and edited by C.H.Prior, Methuen and Co 1893, 147-167p, preached on Trinity Sunday, June 12, 1892.
The Apocryphal Gospel of St. Peter. The Greek Text of The Newly discovered Fragment. London/ New York: Macmillan 1892, 16p., Revised ed. with some corrections of the MS added,1893, viii,8p.
- ΕΥΑΓΓΕΛΙΟΝ ΚΑΤΑ ΠΕΤΡΟΝ. The Akhmîm fragment of the Apocryphal Gospel of St. Peter. with an Introduction, Notes and Indices, London and New York: Macmillan 1893, xlviii,34p.
Reprinted: Eugene OR: Wipf and Stock 2001
- ‘Schleusner's Thesaurus (ⅬⅩⅩ)’, in: The Expository Times 5 (1894) 539
- ‘The Person of the Holy Spirit. A paper read at the Devotional Meeting of the Exeter Church Congress in Exeter Cathedral, Oct. 12 1894 in: C. Dunkley (ed.) The Official Report of the Church Congress, held at Exeter On October 9th, 10th 11th and 12th 1894, London: Bemrose & Sons 1894, 692-698
- The Apostles' Creed. its relation to primitive Christianity, London/Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 1894 (June) Reprinted with corrections and slight editions: London/Cambridge: C.U.P. 1894 (October), reprinted, 1899, 1905 and 1908, 112p.
- ‘St. Jerome on the Psalms’, in: The Expositor 5th Ser. Vol.5(1) (1895) 424- 434
- Faith in its relation to Creed, Thought and Life. Three short addresses. Published under the direction of the Treact Committee, London: SPCK 1895, 48p.
- Church Services and Service books before the reformation, London: SPCK 1896, 1905, 1914, 1920, 1925, 230p. Reprinted: London: SPCK & New York: Macmillan, 1930, ix,181p.
- On the Bull Apostolicae Curae. A lecture delivered at the Divinity School, Cambridge, on Friday, November 6, 1896 , Cambridge: Macmillan and Bowes 1896, pp.28.
- ‘Matthew iv 23, ix 35’, in: The Expository Times 10 (1898) 127
- The Gospel according to St.Mark. The Greek Text with introduction, notes and indices, London: Macmillan 1898, cx,412p., Second edition, London: Macmillan 1902, cxviii,434p. Third edition, London: Macmillan 1909, 1913, 1920, 1927 cxx,434p. Reprinted: Grand Rapids: Eerdmans 1951 (reprint of the 1909 ed.), 1952, 1956(reprint of the Macmillan 1898 ed.) Reprinted: Grand Rapids: Kregel 1977, 1978, ²1981. new title: Commentary on Mark. (reprint of the Macmillan 1913 ed.) Part of the Classic Commentaries of the NT, Logos Software
- ‘Holy Spirit', in: Hastings's Dictionary of the Bible (Edinburgh: T. and T. Clark) 2 (1899) 402-411
- ‘Books to study on the Trinity’, in: The Expository Times 10 (1899) 511
- ‘Review of Nestle's Septuagint Studies’, in: The Expository Times 11 (1899) 38-39
- The Old Testament in Greek according to the Septuagint, Vol III. Hosea-4 Maccabees, Cambridge, C. University Press 1894, ²1899, ³1905, 41912, xvi,804p.
- The Psalms in Greek according to the Septuagint (excerpted from te second ed. of vol.II of the above though published before it) Cambridge: C. University Press 1889, xvi,213-416,-p., Second ed. with the Canticles added, Cambridge: C. University Press 1896, xvi,213-417,789-812,-p.
- The Psalms of Solomon with the Greek Fragments of the Book of Enoch (excerpted from te second edition of vol.III of the above ‘The Old Testament in Greek’
Cambridge: C. University Press 1899, viii,50p.
- ‘The Journal of Theological Studies. Introductory Statement’, in: The Journal of Theological Studies 1 (1900) 1-2
- ‘Note appented to Dr Nestle's Review of Dr. Swete's The Gospel according to St. Mark’, in: The Expository Times 11 (1900) 330
- ‘Laying on of Hands’, in: Hasting's Dictionary of the Bible (Edinburgh: T. and T. Clark) 3 (1900) 84.85
- An Introduction to the Old Testament in Greek With an appendix containing the Letter of Aristeas edited by H.St.J. Thackeray, Cambridge: University Press, 1900, xiv,592p. Reprinted 1902; Reprinted: New York: KTAV Publishing House 1964, „Reprint of the 1902' edition‟.; Second edition, Revised by Richard Rusden Ottley: Cambridge: University Press 1914, xvi,626p; Reprinted: New York: KTAV Publishing House 1968
- ‘Review of The Apocalypse by Edward White Benson, sometime Archbishop of Canterbury’, in The Journal of Theological Studies 2 (1901) 302-305
- ‘The meaning of our Lord's words in St. John xx.22,23 and in St.Matt. xviii.18’. A statement read to the Conference held at Fulham Palace, December 31 1901, in: Henry Wace, Chairman of the Conferenc (ed.) Confession and Absolution: Report of A Conference held at Fulham Palace on December 30 and 31 1901. and January 1, 1902, London: Longmans, Green and Co, 1902, 3-5
- ‘Eucharistic Belief in the second and third centuries’, in: The Journal of Theological Studies 3 (1902) 161-177
- ‘Matt. xxviii 16-20’. An exposition given to a gathering of past and present members of the Cambridge Clergy Training School, held at Westcott House, July 7-9, 1902, in: The Expositor 6th Series, Volume 6 (1902) 241-259
- ‘The two Greatest Miracles of the Gospel History’, A paper read to the Church Congress held at Northampton on 8th October 1902 at the Temperance Hall, Northampton, in: Rev. C Dunkley, vicar of Brewood (ed.) The Official Report of the Church Congress held at Northampton on the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th October 1902, Derby: Bemrose and Sons, 1902, 162-166. Reprinted in: The Expository Times 14 (1902) 214-217 Also known under the name of session of the Congress: "The Miracles and Supernatural Character of the Gospels".
- Patristic Study, London: Longmans, Green & co, New York and Bombay 1902, xi,194p.
Reprinted, 2:1902, 3: 1908 xi,198p. 41909
- The miracles and supernatural character of the Gospels. A paper read at the Church Congress, held at Northampton 'Reprinted from the official report of the Church Congress. by Bemrose and Sons', Derby: Bemrose, 1902, 5p
- Penitential Discipline in the first three centuries’, in: The Journal of Theological Studies 4 (1903) 321-337
- ‘The Trustworthiness of the Gospel Narrative (the first three Gospels)’, in: Critical Questions : being a course of Sermons delivered in St Mark's Church, Marylebone Road, N.W. By A.F. Kirkpatrick, H.B. Swete, R.J. Knowling, A. Robertson, W. Sanday, A.C.Headlam, With a Preface by James Adderley, London: S.C. Brown, Langham and Compagny, Ltd. 1903,29-56
- Christ the Wisdom of God. A sermon preached in the Chapel of Selwyn College, at the opening service of the Clergy Summer Meeting (July 13, 1903), in: The Expository Times 15 (1903) 58-62
- The Teaching of Christ. Six articles in The Expositor 6th Ser. Vol.7 (1903) 81-94, 259-273, 401-416; Vol.8 (1903) 116-130, 267-282, 440-455.
- Studies in the Teaching of our Lord, Reprinted with a few changes, chiefly verbal, from the Expositor for 1903, London: Hodder and Stoughton 1903, 186p., ²1910, ³1913.
- [.........] A Couse of 4 Lectures given on the Christology of the New Testament in 1903, “This latter course was privately printed, and forms a booklet of fifty closely printed pages, a perfect handbook on the subject, and admirably adapted to his hearers.” (lost?)
- ‘The New Oxyrhynchus Sayings. A tentative Interpretation’, A lecture delivered at the Divinity School, Cambridge on July 7, 1904, in: The Expository Times 15 (1904) 488-495. See the Oxyrhynchus Papyri
- ‘Review of Outlines of the Life of Christ by W. Sanday, D.D.’,in: The Journal of Theological Studies 6 (1905) 615-617.
- ‘The Vision of the New Jerusalem (Apoc. xxi 9-xxii 5)’, A paper read to the Central Society of Sacred Study at Westonsuper-Mare on January 5, 1905, and at Westcott House, Cambridge, on March 27, in: The Interpreter 1 (1905) 377-387 and 468-478.
- ‘The Gospels in the second century’, A Lecture to the ladies assembled for Biblical study at Newnham College, Cambridge August 1907, in: The Interpreter 4 (1907) 138-155.
- ‘Prayer for the Departed’, in: The Journal of Theological Studies 18 (1907) 500-514.
- H.B. Swete [ed.], Essays on some Theological Questions of the Day By Members of the University of Cambridge, London/New York: Macmillan 1905, x,599p. Essays:
- William Cunningham, The Christian Standpoint
- F.R. Tennant, The being of God, in the light of physical science
- Alfred Caldecott, The being of God, in the light of phylosophy
- W.L.H. Duckworth, Man's origin, and his place in nature
- E.H. Askwith, Sin, and the need of atonement
- J.M. Wilson, The idea of revelation, in the light of modern knowledge and research
- A.W. Robinson, Prayer, in relation to the idea of law
- J.O.F. Murray, The spiritual and historical evidence for miracles
- W.E. Barnes, The permanent value of the Old Testament
- E.H. Chase, The gospels in the light of historical criticism
- A.J. Mason, Christ in the New Testament. The primitive portrait
- F.J. Foakes-Jackson, Christ in the Church. The testimony of history
- J.F. Bethune-Baker, Christian doctrines and their ethical significance
- H.M. Butler, The Christian ideal and the Christian hope
- 'The Prophets in the Christian Church' in The Biblical World, Volume 26 (1905) 202-214.
- The Apocalypse of St.John. The Greek Text with Introduction, Notes and Indices, London: Macmillan 1906, cxvi,335p, ²1906, ccxx,338p., ³1911
Reprinted: Grand Rapids: Eerdmans 1951
Reprinted: Grand Rapids: Kregel 1977, 1978 (Reprint of the 1911) new title: Commentary on Revelation.
Reprinted: Eugene OR: Wipf & Stock 1998
Part of the Classic Commentaries of the NT, Logos Software
- ‘The Old Testament in Greek. Two Lectures given at the Cambridge Local Lectures Summer Meeting, July 1908: Origin, Contents, and Language of the Septuagint; other Greek versions of the Old Testament, in: The Interpreter 5 (1908/09) 17-33.
- ‘The Greek Old Testament in the Christian Church’, in: The Interpreter 5 (1908/09) 129-146.
- ‘Review of The Pastoral Teaching of St. Paul: his Ministerial Ideals by W.Edward Chadwick’, in: The Expository Times 19 (1908) 225-226.
- Zwei neue Evangelienfragmente, Herausgegeben und erklärt von H.B. Swete, (Kleine Texte für theologische und philologische Vorlesungen und Übungen; Herausgegeben von Hans Lietzmann. vol.31) Bonn, Berlin: A. Marcus und E. Weber's Verlag ¹1908=²1924, 16p.
- ‘The Religious value of the Bible,' in: Essays on some Biblical Questions of the day, London: Macmillan & Co. 1909, Essay xvi, pp.541-556.
- The Holy Spirit in the New Testament. A Study of primitive Christian Teaching.
London: Macmillann 1909, 1910, 1916 x,419p.
Reprinted Grand Rapids: Baker 1964, 1976 ed. issued from London 1910 ed.
- H.B. Swete [ed.] Essays on some Biblical Questions of the Day. By Members of the University of Cambridge, London: Macmillan 1909 xii,556p. Essays:
- A.A. Bevan, Historical Methods in the Old Testament
- C.H.W. Johns, The Influence of Babylonian Mythology upon the Old Testament
- S.A.. Cook, The present Stage of Old Testament research
- R.H. Kennett, History of Jewish Church from Nebuchadnezzar to Alexander the Great
- W.E. Barnes, The interpretation of Psalms
- I. Abrahams, Rabbinic Aids to Exegesis
- F.C. Burkitt, The Eschatological Idea in the Gospel
- A.H. McNeile, Our Lord's use of the Old Testament
- W.R. Inge, The Theology of the Fourth Gospel
- A.E. Brooke, The Historical Value of the Fourth Gospel
- C.A. Anderson Scott, Jesus and Paul
- P. Gardner, The Speeches of St. Paul in Acts
- H.L. Jackson, The present state of the Synoptic Problem
- J.H. Moulton, New Testament Greek in the light of modern discovery
- A.V. Valentine-Richards, The history and present state of New Testament Textual Criticism
- H.B. Swete, The Religious Value of the Bible
- The Ascended Christ. A Study in the earliest Christian Teaching, London: Macmillan 1910, 1911 xvi,168p.
- Texts and Translations of the Old Testament, C.S.S.S. Leaflet 51, July 1912 (WANTED)
- The Holy Spirit in the Ancient Church. A Study in the earliest Christian Teaching in the Age of the Fathers, London: Macmillan 1912, viii,429p., Reprinted: Eugene OR: Wipf & Stock 1996, 1999
- The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit, C.S.S.S. Leaflet 55, July 1913 (WANTED)
- 'Review of The New Testament Documents. their origin and early history by George Milligan', in: The Journal of Theological Studies 15 (1913) 84-86.
- The Last Discourse and Prayer of our Lord. A Study of St John XIV- XVII, London: Macmillan 1913, xviii,187p.
- Two Cambridge divines of the Seventeenth Century. A Lecture given to the Summer Meeting of Clergy at Cambridge, July 1913. Lectures on Lancelot Andrewes (1555-1626) and John Pearson (1613-1686), London: SPCK 1913, 56p.
- Foreword to: Francis Ryan Montgomery Hitchcock, Irenaeus of Lugdunum. A study of his teaching, Cambridge: at the University Press 1914 (373pp).
- The Holy Catholic Church. The Communion of Saints. A Study in the Apostles' Creed, London: Macmillan 1915, x,258p, 1919 x,265p.
- The Birth Narratives in St Matthew and St Luke, C.S.S.S. Leaflet 65, January 1916 (WANTED)
- The Disciple whom Jesus loved and John of Ephesus, in: The Journal of Theological Studies 17 (1916) 371-374 and 375-378.
- The Faithful sayings, in: The Journal of Theological Studies 18 (1916) 1-7.
- Jesus Christ as Judge: 'from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead' in The Meaning of the Creed. papers on the Apostles' Creed. edited with an introduction by the Rev. G.K.A.Bell, London: SPCK 1917,131-146 (first printed seperately as New Tracts on the Creed, No. viii, London: SPCK 1916).
- The Ancient Creeds in Modern Life. A Lecture given by the Cambridge Local Lectures Summer Meeting 1914, London: SPCK 1914, 32p, Reprinted: London: Macmillan 1922, 32p.
- The Forgiveness of Sins. A Study in the Apostles' Creed, London: Macmillan 1916, xiv,197p.
- Jesus Christ as Judge: 'from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead' - New Tracts on the Creed, No. viii, London: SPCK 1916
reprinted in The Meaning of the Creed. papers on the Apostles' Creed. edited with an introduction by the Rev. G.K.A.Bell, London: SPCK 1917
- ‘The Resurrection of the Flesh’, in: The Journal of Theological Studies 19 (1917) 135-141.
- ‘Review of The Ministry in the Church in relation to Prophecy and Spiritual Gifts by H.J. Wotherspoon’, in: The Journal of Theological Studies 19 (1917) 235-237.
- ‘Review of Reconciliation between God and Man by W.J. Sparrow Simpson’, n: THe Journal of Theological Studies 19 (1917) 237.238.
- The Life of the World to come. Six Addresses. [With a portrait.] with an introduction by Minnie Bridget Knight, London: SPCK & New York: Macmillan 1917, 1925 xi,114p.Reprinted in 1918, 1925, Reprints of individual addresses: The Risen Body and Eternal Life, London: SPCK 1938, 22p (in the series Little Books on Religion. no. 150) The Intermediate State, London: SPCK 1938, 22p (in the series Little Books on Religion. no. 151)
- Essays on the Early History of the Church and the Ministry. By various writers. , London: Macmillan 1918, xx,446p. ²1921, xxxvi,446pp Essays:
- Arthur James Mason, Conceptions of the Church in early times
- Joseph Armitage Robinson, The Christian Ministry in the Apostolic and sub- Apostolic periods
- Cuthbert Hamilton Turner, Apostolic Succession: A. The original conception; B. The problem of non-catholic Orders
- John Henry Bernard, The Cyprianic Doctrine of the Ministry
- Walter Howard Frere, Early forms of Ordination
- Frank Edward Brightman, Terms of Communion, and the Ministration of the Sacraments, in early times.
- ‘The private prayers of Bishop Andrewes’, Introduction to: The Devotions of Bishop Andrewes Translated from the Greek by John Henry Newman (vol I) and Translated from the Latin by John Mason Neale (vol II), London: S.P.C.K. and New York: The Macmillan Co. 1920, vii-xxv.
- The Parables of the Kingdom. A Course of Lectures with an introduction by Minnie Bridget Knight and H.G., London: Macmillan 1920, 1921 vii,213p.
H.B. Swete's translation of the Akhmîm Fragment of the Apocryphal Gospel of St.Peter reproduced in J.A. Robinson [ed.], Excluded Books of the New Testament, with translations of J.B. Lightfood, M.R. James, H.B. Swete et al., Eveleijh Nash & Grayson, 1927,109-117
compiled by Richard C. Vervoorn, last changes : May 4, 2014